July 13, 2012

Into the woods



Just as you have cat people versus dog people, I believe you can also make the distinction between sea people and forest people. I myself am a dog kind of girl as well as a forest person. Truth be told, cats frighten me somewhat, and though I like to go to the sea every now and then, the forest feels like home.
A few days ago I went back to my hometown to attend the birthday of one of my cousins. I took the opportunity to take a long hike through the forests of my youth. The forest is relatively small and you'll never fully lose sight of civilization, but it's beautiful nonetheless.





The place is actually still owned by a true count, who has quite a strong say in whatever happens in the adjacent city.  As a lover of history and tradition this is something that really speaks to my more romantic side. Not too many a place can boast things like this.
Summer in Holland never counts a lot of sun hours, and the day of my little hiking trip saw strong winds and moody grey clouds. The perfect wheather for a walk. I might be prejudiced though, fall has always been my favourite season. I guess the storm winds are in my heart as well.


Just looking, listening, smelling and walking, on and on. I could never see myself sitting in the lotus position, chanting weird words in order to reach some higher mental place (not only is sitting in the lotus position just physically impossible for me, I'm also very much unable to let go when feeling like an idiot), but when I come back from one of these kind of trips, however short they might be, I feel rested and relaxed, free, and as if anything is possible. I guess everyone has his own kind of meditation, and walking is mine.



I read somewhere that apparently loads of writers like to take long hikes, the rythm of walking being perfect for creating new stories or poems. I don't know if walking really is a thing amongst writers, but I can certainly imagine it to be so. Every step you take clears your head a bit more, making space for new thoughts to arrive.
The only thing needed for true perfection now, is a way to get rid of the mosquitos that only needed a few hours to turn my body into a lumpy, itching mess. You know, a way that does not involve destabilizing the entire ecosystem and the eventual but very certain death of all life on earth.



No comments:

Post a Comment