June 27, 2012

Hello, vacation




 



Yes, it is that time of year again. After a lot of hard work, now the time has come to play. I had a couple of vacation plans, but they all fell through. So here I am, trying to find a new one by going through some old pictures for inspiration.

The first one is of a building in Barcelona that struck me. It doesn't really look like the rest of Barcelona, and it makes me think of South America or Cuba in the 1940s. Not that I have ever been in South America or Cuba, or have a real clue of what the 1940s looked like in those places, but still. This picture makes me long for it. And for a glass of rum.

The ruin of what was once without doubt a magnificent castle I photographed in Normandy, France. I have a thing for castles. I like to believe in reincarnation, just so I can pretend to have lived in a castle in one of my previous lifes. Since I could barely read I have been working my way through a mountain of historic novels, and college proved to be a great source of information and inspiration as well. I took a class called 'Art of the Middle Ages', and another one on medievel military orders. I even took on that focused especially on castles and their layouts and building methods. When I say I love castles, I make no joke.

Contrary to what you might think, the third picture I took while in Georgia. Not the United States one, the country in the Caucasus. It's near Russia, and it's gorgeous. It's a place full of bear and wolf infested forrests, religion, living history and without doubt the best bread you will ever taste. But that's a story for another time.  

The last picture was taken in Palmyra, Syria. This country has a special place in my heart, with it's lovely people and fantastic food. I was there a few times before all the horrible things started happening, and am very anxious as to how I will find the country after all the fighting is over. Whenever that might be. My heart is with all the wonderful people I met. I hope they will still be there when it's safe enough for me to return. Which I'm sure I will, someday.

Not right now, however. So I guess I will have to do some more searching to find a new destination, just waiting to be discovered by me. Lucky for me the world is quite big, with loads of exactly such places. I'm sure I will manage.

No comments:

Post a Comment